Prev: Re: Speaking of campaign rules... Next: Re: Campaign rules?

Re: Why big ships are too good...

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:23:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Why big ships are too good...

>Some things in life just aint fair <grin>.

'Sright!
:-)

>Just as escorts have an easier
>time getting up to speed 8 than do capital ships, capital ships have an
>easier time setting up defensive systems.  If you were a single
fighter,
>which would you rather face, the defense system of a single destroyer,
or
>the defense system of of a Battleship?
>  Question: someone mentioned something about being able to place 3
>shields on an escort.	How can this be?  It takes a minimum of 9 mass
>units to get 3 shields.  This would mean that the ship had to have a
>minimum of 18 mass units.  Isn't this larger than an escort class ship?
>(again, I wish I hadn't lent out my copy of the rules!!!)

18 is the biggest mass for an escort, so to have 3 shields, it either
has
nothing else (!) or it lacks FTL, and masses at least 12 (no FTL = 75%
mass
available for systems).  How about a Mass 16 system defence vessel with
an
A-Battery and 3 shields?

Cheers
Rob Paul

Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rkp@mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"

Prev: Re: Speaking of campaign rules... Next: Re: Campaign rules?