Prev: Re: Beam Weapons Redux Next: Re: Campaign rules?

was needle beam thoughts-

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 07:12:28 -0500
Subject: was needle beam thoughts-

SNIP
>>six needle beams and a high thrust.  I haven't been too impressed with
>>escorts so far.  Has anyone else had good results with the smaller
ships?

>I've had good luck with small ships by mounting them with sub-packs,
etc.
>and letting them drop their load from behind a large enemy ship after a
>quick maneuver.  It helps to use them in wolfpacks since some are
guaranteed
>to be destroyed by passing to close to an enemy fleet.  This method
works
>like the old WWII torpedo boats - go fast and hit hard in numbers.
>
>Mike Miserendino

As I like the idea of "WW2 wet navy" style vessels (not exclusively), I
like
a DD of mass 14, thrust 8, 2*3-arc C-batts, 1 PDAF and 4 Sub-Munition
Packs.
Operated as a flotilla of 6 ships, and starting as fast as they're
allowed
to, they can build up enough speed to minimize enemy defensive fire and
make
a fast run through the enemy fleet to "torpedo" (with SMPs) a major
unit.
An alternative, especially for campaigns, would be mass 8, no FTL, and
drop
the PDAF;  Destroyer tenders (ADs) would be mass 48, thrust 1, perhaps 1
AD
per 2 or 3 flotillas.

Rob Paul
Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rkp@mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"

Prev: Re: Beam Weapons Redux Next: Re: Campaign rules?