Prev: Re: needle beam thoughts Next: Re: needle beam thoughts)

(Off topic...) Gunships (was Re: needle beam thoughts)

From: PsyWraith@a...
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 18:07:57 -0500
Subject: (Off topic...) Gunships (was Re: needle beam thoughts)

<< given the recent discussion about needle beams, I though I'd chuck in
my
 opinion...

 <I'm designing my first FT fleet now, and I had an idea from an
aircraft
 <that used to patrol the Ho Chi Mihn Trail. it was some form of cargo
 <craft, fitted with a whole bunch of guns firing out the left (or is it
 <right?) side. it would orbit any vehicles it wanted to kill, firing
all
 <its weapons as it circled. >>

The aircraft you're thinking of were the AC-series gunships.  AC-47
Dragon
(based on the C-47/DC-3 Dakota) with three 7.62mm miniguns, AC-119
Shadow
with (I believe) two miniguns and two 20mm Vulcans, and the AC-130
Specter
with (in the current AC-130U configuration) one (maybe two) 25mm gatling
chaingun(s), one 40mm Bofors autocannon, and a 105mm howitzer.	They're
very
effective at counter-insurgency operations.

<I'm designing some small craft, maybe 25 tons, with 8 thrust, 2 fire
<control, and as many needlebeams as I can fit all firing into the same
<arc. since you only need 1 firecon to fire x needlebeams at the same
<systems, I figure if I can get maybe 6 beams in, I'm guaranteed a
system
<kill each shot! face them all out one side so I can orbit a ship, or
fly
<behind a row of ships, and go along knocking out weapons as you go!

<just a thought... figured it would make them more effective...

This does make you vulnerable to the other sides escorts however which
are as
manuverable as you and carry more flexible weapons.  Remember that the
gunships were firing on infantry (and infantry not equiped with
shoulder-fired SAMs), not other aircraft.  Your gunship will run afoul
of
capital ships with longer-ranged weapons and your design does not allow
for
screens making you vulnerable to concentrated return fire.

<Brian Lojeck
<lojeck@mizar.usc.edu

Morgul, aka Morgan Keyes
Sine Pari
Airborne All The Way

Prev: Re: needle beam thoughts Next: Re: needle beam thoughts)