Prev: Re: PBeM "Council of War" Next: Re: Armored Missiles

RE: Beam Weapons Redux

From: JP & Val Fiset <fiset@m...>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 22:23:13 -0500
Subject: RE: Beam Weapons Redux

From:	Alan Brain[SMTP:aebrain@dynamite.com.au]
Sent:	Monday, December 02, 1996 11:41 PM
To:	FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
Subject:	Re: Beam Weapons Redux

A few random thoughts:

A class batteries have 1 dice at long, 2 at Medium, 3 at short - total 6
B Class batteries have 1 at Medium, 2 at short - total 3
C Class batteries have 1 at short - total 1

Points values could be made accordingly: 6:3:1. This means though that
you'd restrict the weapon to no more than 1 extra die per band as the
range shortens.

How about applying this approach to mass instead of cost?  Your analysis
computes the equivalent of the probability of hitting a ship given a
battery.  Or in other words, the strenght (the power) of a battery.
Therefore, it would be quite realistic to apply those ratio to the mass
of the beam batteries (now... I do not want to restart this whole
discussion on realism that has gone on not long ago.  If it irritates
you, replace with the word plausible :-)

Has anyone tried something similar?  And I guess the important question
remains: how do the other weapons compare with this new way of computing
mass?

In any case, I think you have a good idea.

JP

Prev: Re: PBeM "Council of War" Next: Re: Armored Missiles