Prev: Re: Beam Weapons Next: Re: VGA planets, anyone?

Re: Re[2]: Beam Weapons

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:20:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Beam Weapons

At 11:15 AM 11/29/96 +0200, you wrote:
>Funny you should say that....
>
>Jon and I were chatting the other day and one of the things that came
up
>was this beam weapon thing for FTIII (as you may know, we are thinking
>about producing a new version of FT). Jon is quite keen on the idea of
>getting rid of the points system (shock, horror!, what will the
tabloids
>say?) in favour of a single parameter for ship design, i.e. MASS.

Getting rid of the points system wouldn't bother me. The current point
system isn't bad, but it's flawed.

>Secondly, we have recognised the problem with beam weapons inbalance
and
>the latest idea is to distinguish between "casemate" weapons (i.e.
single
>arc) and "turreted" (i.e. 2 or 3 arc):
>
>				MASS
>C battery (turretted only)	 1
>B battery (casemate)		 2
>B battery (turret)		 4
>A battery (casemate)		 4
>A battery (turret)		 8
>

>What do you all think??

Hey, I like it! I was coming to the same conclusion in my Age of Iridium
background, though I hadn't worked out the points. The only problem is
that
the A battery turret seems a bit high in cost. Are there any other mass
point changes?

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Beam Weapons Next: Re: VGA planets, anyone?