Prev: RE: FT III alternative rules Next: Re: Beam Weapons

Re: My long promised beam rules (long)

From: JAMES BUTLER <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 11:34:41 -0500
Subject: Re: My long promised beam rules (long)

At 06:15 AM 12/1/96 +0000, you wrote:
>   Here are the beam rules I mentioned a few days ago.  The rules are
long,
>but most of it is examples.  If you find something unbalanced about
them, let
>me know... I tinker.
>------------
>
>Beams: Beams are highly energized particle streams, powered by
capacitors.
> To attack, roll a d6.  Subtract the target's number of screens and the
range
>penalty (see the specific beam for this value).  The final number (d6-
>shields - range) is the damage inflicted.  (Damage of less than zero is
>zero.)
> Each attack draws power from capacitors equal to the beam's level.  A
free
>(no mass, no points) capacitor with a value of double the largest beam
level
>comes with the ship.
>
>Beams: Beam 1 (Mass 0.5+0.5/arc, Points: 2+2/arc, Range: -1/4")  - ex.
3 arc
>Beam 1 = Mass 2, Points 8
>Beam 2: (Mass 1+1/arc, Points: 4+4/arc, Range: -1/8") ex. 2 arc Beam 2
=
> Mass 3, Points 12
>Beam 3: (Mass 1.5+1.5/arc, Points: 6+6/arc, Range -1/12") ex. 1 arc
Beam 3 =
> Mass 3, Points 12

	Cool stuff, extremely cool. Perhaps damage for an attack should
be
1d6 + the beam's class number - shields - range penalty. As it stands,
inside of range 4, all the beams would do the same damage, which doesn't
make much sense to me. Besides which, larger beam batteries should have
some
greater ability to penetrate screens, particularly at closer ranges.

	James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: RE: FT III alternative rules Next: Re: Beam Weapons