Prev: Re: ADAF's Next: List Topics

Re: Stealth Fighters

From: BJCantwell@a...
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 21:48:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Stealth Fighters

> >Which brings to mind a new fighter class!
>  >
>  >Stealth Fighters:  Stealth fighters use advanced emmisions control
and
ECM
>  >suites to reduce their electronic signature.  This makes the already
>  >difficult task of aquiring and producing a firing solution for
anti-fighter
>  >weapons even more formidable.  Stealth fighters are allowed to
conduct
fire
>  >attacks before the defending ship fires its anti-fighter systems.
> Reduction
>  >in signature comes at the expense of some performance, and therefore

> stealth
>  >fighters are -1 in all dogfights.  Stealth fighters cost + 12 points
per
>  >fighter.
>  >
>  >What do you think of this?
>  >
>  >Later
>  >
>  >Brian
>  >
>  >

>	   A nifty idea--that scares the hell out of me!! Can we say
STEALTH
>  TORPEDO PLANES!? Mini-pulse torpedoes screaming in from ghost blips
that
>  barely appear on your viewscreen before every instrument and panel
goes to
>  static and then black...
>
>	   Really, though. Combine stealth with torpedo planes and other
than
>  wave guns or spinal mount nova guns (which we don't use--too
powerful, too
>  cheesy too) and there is no defense--other than fighters and what
happens
>  when stealth planes fight other stealth planes--my God, stealth
interceptors.
> ..
>
>	   James

> Ouch!  Neat idea, but it would sure make fighters more deadly against
ships.
> How about reducing attack rolls against all targets or reducing the
amount
> of damage inflicted(less space for weapons with masking
material/design
etc.)?

> Mike Miserendino

Great guys, exactly the sort of feedback I wanted.

So the general opinion is that these buggers are a little too powerful.
 Maybe they should have endurance -1 to reflect the smaller payload of
stealth fighters.  Also, how about making the fighters -1 in all
fighter-fighter attacks (ranged or dogfight).  My thinking on these is
that
they are not impossible to see and attack, just much harder, so that by
the
time an enemy has achieved a firing solution, the fighters will have
launched
their attacks.	There would be less defense against them, but isn't that
the
whole point of a stealth design?  Fighters and dedicated Aegis ships
deployed
ahead of the primary targets are the best choices.  An Aegis (ADAF
equipped)
ship which was not the target of the fighters would be able to fire on
the
fighters on its turn exactly as normal.  However, if the stealth
fighters
were targeting the same ship, the fighters would get to fire first,
instead
of taking the defensive fire before their attack.  ANy surviving point
defenses could then attack the fighters, presumably made more visible by
the
emmisions of their attack.

Any other ideas?

Later