Prev: Re: Should I go for it? Next: Re: New threshold levels.

Re: Re[2]: Looking for a new home.

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:59:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Looking for a new home.

At 01:16 PM 11/18/96 +0200, you wrote:
>FWIW, I am _strongly_ against a Usenet group for GZG related
discussion.
>r.g.m.m already carries some, but the majority is here on this list.
This
>has the _significant_ advantage that members have to subscribe to this
list
>- That is, make a conscious effort to do so.

I like that part, since it tends to focus attention.

>Thereby the legal stuff about
>GZG being able to use stuff that appears here then applies. This would
not
>be the case with a news group.

This might not be as useful as you think. I talked to my wife about this
(she's a law clerk) and she--and her boss--are of the impression that
you
are on pretty shakey legal ground, at least where Canada is concerned,
if
you were to use anything on this list without written permission. In
Canada,
you can't IMPLICITLY lose your legal rights even if you were to sign a
disclaimer up front. In other words even though you say that you can use
anything on this list, that declaration can not override my right to
copyright. It would be incredibly easy to fight this in court due to the
vagaries of mailing lists and the fact that no one on this list has
actually
signed a contract with GZG. She's also pretty sure that the same thing
applies to both the US and the UK (but she's not certain).

This feature of the mailing list may not be all that important from a
legal
perspective.

>I would second the proposal that Andy Cowell (if he is willing) take it
on.
>Andy's web pages are great and AFAIAC are the "standard" repository for
the
>DSII and SGII FAQs as is Mark Siefert's page for FT.

I actually like the idea of a mailing list, though. The signal to noise
ratio is better, especially when we've got someone like Adam ready to
pull
the plug. Still, at least we wouldn't have to put up with bounce
messages
and a WINMAIL files if we had a newsgroup.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Should I go for it? Next: Re: New threshold levels.