Prev: Mold Masters Next: Mold Master

Conventional DS2?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 23:11:49 -0500
Subject: Conventional DS2?

I've been going over my stash of unpainted lead and I came across some
T80s,
M1A1s, Bradleys, and BTRs that I'd purchased aeons ago for a modern
armour
game that never materialized. I went through some of my modern armour
rules,
and realized that none of them are as fast paced as DS2.

You've probably guessed the purpose of this thread. I've been thinking
of
Mark Siefert's future history and I got thinking about current and near
future weapons. For instance, I thought of giving the T80s a size 3
(maybe
four) fast-tracked vehicle with armour 3 and a class 3 HVC with a
chemically
fueled engine. M1A1s would be size 4, fast tracked, armour 4 and a class
4
HVC, with a CFE.

Does anyone have any comments on this? Has anyone used DS2 for
conventional
armour games, such as the old Warsaw Pact versus NATO style of game
(perhaps
in a Twilight 2000 style alternate history)? How about near-future
games? I
think DS2 loses some of the detailed differences between weapon systems,
but
that in turn makes it faster paced than similar systems. I'm not sure
there's enough detail in DS2 to use it for WWII (I don't think you'd see
enough of a difference between, say, a T-34, a Panther, and a Sherman),
but
I think it would work for modern games.

If no one has done this before, is anyone out there interested in the
results? I have a Russia versus Ukraine scenario in mind (with an
observing
NATO unit thrown into the mix). I'd rather do it in DS2 than learn
another
game system, like GDW's Combined Arms.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.