Prev: Re: Variant PDAF/ADAF Rules Next: Re:Hammer's Slammers/Forever War (Was Re: Starship Troopers)

Re: Solitaire Full Thrust?

From: davisje@a... (Jonathan Davis)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:15:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Solitaire Full Thrust?

> Ever try Trek28, PRobot or CRobot?  Trek28 came out several years ago
and
> had computer oponent option as well as modem play.  You managed small
fleets
> in combat as well as exploration.  Great game for the time.  I wonder
if it
> was ever improved upon?  The latter two taught the user a little
Pascal or C
> language in order to give your robot AI that would instruct it how to
fight
> against other robots(programs).

My initial thoughts on this matter were based from the solitaire rules
for Ogre published in one of the Space Gamer magazines many years ago.

Based on a die roll, the Ogre would make a random move from a lookup
table
and fire its weapons at the conventional targets.  The beauty of that
system
is that the objective is simple for the Ogre - destruction of the human
command port.

Objectives are much more harder to identify in a Full Thrust scenario.

I have some initial ideas for a random table that I can think about and
test
on the gaming table.  I think I'll define several tables with the
overall
objective for the 'robot' ship, such as full forward attack, oblique
attack,
withdraw, and others.

Again, this generates a loose strategy for the 'robot' ship, but not an
overall scenario strategy.

Jon Davis
davisje@crd.ge.com

Prev: Re: Variant PDAF/ADAF Rules Next: Re:Hammer's Slammers/Forever War (Was Re: Starship Troopers)