Prev: Re: post-election outbursts (was: Hallo?) Next: Re: Hallo?

Re: Hallo?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 20:55:34 -0500
Subject: Re: Hallo?

At 12:21 PM 11/7/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Having never left the states, I wonder how closely people in other
>countries follow our elections.

We Canadians follow it quite closely, for a foreign country. It was
former
PM Pierre Trudeau who likened Canada to sleeping beside an elephant. As
such, we don't like it when the elephant starts coughing and rolling
over in
its sleep.

As a witicism, there's a parody show in Canada produced by the CBC
called
_This Hour Has 22 Minutes_ (a take off on an old Canadian news magazine
show
called _This Hour Has 7 Days_). It's a parody of a news program. One of
the
"reporters" (comedian Rick Mercer) went to Washington, DC during the
elections. He asked people on the street if the "upcoming summit"
between
Canada and the US should be the Clinton-Czoski (sp?) summit, or the
Czoski-Clinton summit.	For the record, the Canadian PM is Jean
Chretien.
Peter Czoski is a long time CBC Radio morning show host who has just
retired. American after American agreed that it should be the
Czoski-Clinton
summit, not realizing that Czoski isn't the Canadian PM. One of the
people
asked worked in Congress. As a counter point, I don't think there's a
Canadian alive that doesn't know Clinton is the president.

The show went on to ask about the Waxman-Clinton summit. Al Waxman is a
Canadian actor best known in the US as the sergeant on _Cagney and
Lacey_.
Mercer said, "Our PM is Al Waxman. He's about this tall, balding,
actually
he looks a lot like the sergeant from Cagney and Lacey." No one
corrected him.

Well, I thought it was funny (almost busted a gut, actually). Guess you
had
to be there (and be a Canadian).

Allan

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: post-election outbursts (was: Hallo?) Next: Re: Hallo?