Prev: RE: "real" weapons tech thread (was: cou Next: Stargrunt Questions for Mike Elliot

Re: Shields, was Re: Armor

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:27:22 -0500
Subject: Re: Shields, was Re: Armor

Adam wrote,

> When you determine how many beam damage points the shields save you
>  from, you should take this into account. The last six damage points
on a
>  heavy cruiser with an original shield level of 3 will probably take
very
>  much less dice to inflict than the first six!

I attempted to figure this out once while trying to stay awake at a very
boring job (one which I quit shortly thereafter, but that's another
story). I
factored in threshold checks, but not repair rolls. Unfortunately, the
exact
methodology I used to come up with these numbers is no longer in my
brian,
(or at least not accessible) so I can't really defend them, but hey
that's
never stopped me before....

I first considered a 36-mass heavy cruiser:
With no screens, it would take an average of 30d6 to destroy.
With level-1 screens, it would take 35d6.
With level-2 screens, it would take 45d6.
And with level-3 screens, it would take 78d6.

Next I considered a 16-mass destroyer:
With no screens, it would take an average of 12d6 to destroy.
With level-1 screens, it would take 16d6.
With level-2 screens, it would take 22d6.
And with level-3 screens, it would take 40d6 (assuming you could fit 3
screens, but never mind that).

Last I considered a 64-mass battleship:
With no screens, it would take an average of 51d6 to destroy.
With level-1 screens, it would take 58d6.
With level-2 screens, it would take 78d6.
And with level-3 screens, it would take 136d6!!

Cheers anyway,
Scott

"What does it bode for civilization as we know it when even the
transvestites
start wearing sensible shoes?"

Prev: RE: "real" weapons tech thread (was: cou Next: Stargrunt Questions for Mike Elliot