Prev: Re: Armor Next: Shields, was Re: Armor

Re: Armor

From: dlewis2@c... (David Kendall Lewis (Ext: 3936, Room: 4060B))
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 07:38:27 -0500
Subject: Re: Armor

>Here was my thinking:
>  Level 1 screens on a cruiser size ship saves the ship between 15-25
damage
>points in the typical games I have run.
>  Level 2 screens on a cruiser saves the ship between 20-35 damage
points.
>  Level 3 screens on a cruiser saves between 25-45 points of damage.
>  Escorts have lower averages and capitals higher.

We don't need to do this, we can calculate the upper limit of average
mathmatically.	If we take the biggest cruiser (mass=36) and determine
how
many dice of damage it takes to kill it (assuming no attacks by screen
penetrating weapons and no screens are hit due to threshold points) we
will
get an average of the upper limit.  Here it is:

   Level 0 Screens:  27 dice do the necessary 18 points of damage.
   Level 1 Screens:  36 dice do the necessary 18 points of damage.
   Level 2 Screens:  54 dice do the necessary 18 points of damage.
   Level 3 Screens: 108 dice do the necessary 18 points of damage.

So now if we take the difference in dice and calculate the average
damage
those dice would have done, we will get the maximum average saved:

   Level 1 Screens: The  9 extra dice needed would have done  6 points
on avg.
   Level 2 Screens: The 27 extra dice needed would have done 18 points
on avg.
   Level 3 Screens: The 81 extra dice needed would have done 54 points
on avg.

So you can see that the upper limit averages that I have calculated
differ
greatly from what you are experiencing.

>  This averages to between 5 & 6 points per ton. Cost average is
between
>  0.4-1.0 cost per point.

I get maximum averages of:

   Level 1 Screens: 2 points per ton w/cost average of 4.17 points per
point.
   Level 2 Screens: 3 points per ton w/cost average of 2.78 points per
point.
   Level 3 Screens: 6 points per ton w/cost average of 1.39 points per
point.

>  Add to this that screens do not decrease in effect, and they are
>omni-directional. And I limited the amount of armor a ship can carry.
>  This is why I suggested 1 ton and a cost of 5 for 5 points of
protection.
>Level 1 screen is 3 tons, costs 25 and provides 15-25 points of
protection
>(average). 3 tons of armor cost 15 and provide 15 points of protection.
5 tons
>of armor cost 25 and provide 25 points of protection.

This limited arc protection could justify the cost benefit of the armor.
personally like the idea and to my knowledge the only thing armor
protects
against that screens do not are Rail Gun rounds, all other screen
penetrating
affects also penetrate armor.

>  If you have differnet averages for the amount of damage screens
absorb, I
>would love to know (everyone has a different level of luck).

My averages differ as shown above.

As always any opinions I may have written above are mine and mine alone.

Dave.

Prev: Re: Armor Next: Shields, was Re: Armor