Prev: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics Next: Re: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

From: Absolutely Barking Stars <jw4@b...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 07:04:36 -0500
Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

On [Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:33:09 +0100] Adam Delafield
<A.Delafield@bolton.ac.uk> wrote:

>    Erm..
>
>    To move 100m in 0.2sec is a velocity of 500ms-1. Your acceleration
has to be
>    much greater than that. (You have to accelerate to 1000ms-1,
assuming linear
>    acceleration (The area under your velocity v time graph gives
distance) in
>    0.2,
>    which is 5000ms-2.) Well, you get the idea.
>    A 9g maneuver (still pretty steep) would give you about 5 meters
(18 feet?)
>    in 0.2 seconds.
Grin, I haven't got my maths head on right now but your figures look
right. I
did say though that .2 of a second was actually a pretty generous
estimate of the interval. How far is .1 of a light second anyway? Is it
a 'reasonable' distance to expect Full Thrust combat to take place in?
As I remember ( and right now it would not suprise me in the LEAST if I
was wrong, as I am having some trouble remembering my own name I have
such a headache ) C is roughly 3X10^8 M/S isn't it? or 3X10^5
KM/S. Therefore .1 light second is 3X10^4 or 30,000 KM. Something in the
order of planetary diameter. Hmm.. bit close for my liking..

>    >I've always considered this an interesting subject actually. There
are
>    >lots of possibilities apart from hard movement - quick blooming
aerosols,
>    anti-
>    >battery fire (well if you're going to shout 'here I am' it serves
you
>    >right..)
>    Have you seen that new gizmo from America that can track a bullet
in flight
>    back to it's source and return fire? Don't see why you can't do
that with
>    energy weapons. Track the enemy by his shooting at you.
My first thought about those was 'I'm sure it'll make you very happy
after you are dead', given they apparently didn't make any effort to
stop the bullet hitting you. Now is it possible that a ship could launch
some
sort of solid object to intercept the beam before it hit the ship - some
sort of anti-energy beam missile.. It wouldn't have to get that far away
from the ship as long as it could absorb enough energy. I hope they have
good computers in the (whatever)th century :-). I always thought it was
somewhat odd that scifi authors could quite willingly accept that there
are computers that fast around in their 'time' but not that they could
be equipped with AI pilots who wouldn't care less what G they were
subjected
to..

			TTFN
				Jon
'And I love what we are but I hate what I am
 And I wanna be like you but I hate when you're like them'
		   Maria McKee 'What Else you Wanna Know'
BWFC Fans List Home Page -
	    http://www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/bwfclist/home.html