Prev: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire s Next: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

RE: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:13:07 -0500
Subject: RE: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Date sent:  29-OCT-1996 10:02:48

>Did we discuss active weapon sensors here, or was it somewhere else?
Hmm..
>anyway, the point is radar/laser active sensors just don't work in
space
>combat. Why? Follow this through..

I've seen this kind of argument before. If this were true, an aircraft
could never hit another aircraft with guns, but they can. Why? because
you aim where you plot the target to be rather than where it was. And
fire multiple rounds in that area in case it maneuvers. Just because
the speed of your weapons has increased does not mean that you can't
plot offset.

The same thing applies in space. With computerised targeting solutions,
a ship with a relative 'speed' of 10kms-1 is as easy to hit as a
stationary
target. Now if it were accelerating at 10kms-2, it would still be an
easy
target. It would have to be accelerating by random amounts between
+- 10kms-2 before the figures quoted are accurate. (And I'd like to see
the
crew survive a 10kms-2 acceleration.(about 1000G)).

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
| #include "witty_saying"	      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |