Prev: RE: Babylon5 Battles? Next: Re: FT PBeM Announcement and Call for Players

Re: Eldar tech, was (something I can't remember...)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:35:32 -0400
Subject: Re: Eldar tech, was (something I can't remember...)

Excerpts from FT: 24-Oct-96 RE: Eldar tech, was (someth.. by
lojeck@mizar.usc.edu
> > Lessee - the crew would be smaller than on normal ships due to the
> > waystone spirits; on normal ships the FTL drive takes up 25% of the
mass,
> > but Eldar are known for their lousy on-ship FTL drives anyway - this
could
> > be because they're smaller, since they obviously have the tech
needed for
> > better FTL drives!
>
> perhaps you could allow eldar to go without FTL of any kind... since
they
> could use the webway (reliance apon such would explain why they didn't
> develop good on ship ftl)

Actually, GW states quite specifically in several places that Eldar
ships have no Warp engines -- they always use the Webway.  "The extent
of the warp-gate system is a matter of conjecture, but it must be very
vast to enable the Eldar to move so freely from one place to another."
(Rogue Trader, p.178)  Anyway, that could solve your mass problems.  In
a pretty big way.

And, if you want to use the Eldar (& the Webway) in a campaign, well...
obviously the ships can't escape into FTL during combat (unless said
combat is near a portal, in which case *only* the Eldar may use it --
the portals are activated by a Wraithbone "key") but either have webway
gates in every system (not unlikely) or allow a group of ships with
sufficient time to "bulid" a temporary webway gate, or (with a lot of
time) a permanent one.	This could create another strategic aspectto the
game, asssuming you have in-system exploration -- find all the webway
gates, or risk Eldar behind you when you least expect it.  (Might it be
a good time to mention that Webway travel, regardless of distance, is
instantaneous?)

Later,

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: RE: Babylon5 Battles? Next: Re: FT PBeM Announcement and Call for Players