Prev: Re:Honor Harrington Next: Re: Beam Batteries

Re: Beam Batteries

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:23:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Beam Batteries

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Matthew Seidl wrote:

> Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@nada.kth.se> said...
> >
> >I think my arguments hold for the standard beam resolution too. Not
sure,
> >though - 'twas some time since I changed them for Ludo's system (a
single
> >die per battery, but with a die roll modifier for weapon class and
range).

> >Later,
> >
> >Oerjan Ohlson
>
> Um, Could someone repost these rules for the new and uneducated?

Ludo's variant is available from his homepage (accessible from Mark
Siefert's Page); the address to the beam variant is
http://www.ping.be/~ping6568/beam.htm	.

My modifications consist of cutting the ranges down a little (so an A
battery wouldn't cover my entire gaming table <g>) and to adapt AA
batteries to this system.

The end result is:

* Each A-, B- or C-battery rolls 1 die, regardless of range.
* The dieroll is modified as follows:
  A batteries add 2
  B batteries add 1
  All batteries subtract 1 for each full 9 measuring units to the target
  (Ludo uses -1 for each full 12 m.u. instead)
* AA batteries roll 2 dice, modified by +2 -1 per full 12 m.u.
  They burn out if they roll a double '1'.

Each dieroll causes damage as per the normal FT beam rules; shields and
armour effects apply as normal.

The effect of this is that larger batteries have a greater chance of
damaging a protected target, but the potential maximum damage against an

unshielded target is the same for all batteries (AA excepted). If your
enemy uses well protected targets, large batteries are a must - and
preferrably fired from point-blank range! <g>

I have played a little with a final modification where a roll of 8
causes
3 damage points, but I don't know how good it'd be, and I haven't
decided
on shield/armour effects on this result.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: Re:Honor Harrington Next: Re: Beam Batteries