Prev: RE: B5\FT\Shadows\Telepaths Next: RE: DSII: infantry models?

Re: Beam Batteries

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:24:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Beam Batteries

Date sent:  11-OCT-1996 09:14:56

>Sam wrote:
>>Basically, weapons with two or three fire arcs are assumed to be
>>mounted on turrets, and have less armour (I'm using armour as the

>Maybe the fact that they are typically larger than fixed mounts and
have
>motion would make them more vulnerable.  Many warships have been fitted
with
>turrets that have equal or greater armor than the ship's hull.

But also, at least as far as Turn of the Century to 1960s design goes,
turrets are much heavier (more massive for you physics junkies) than
fixed mounts. Not by a little, but by a lot. This is the reasoning
behind
multi gunned turrets such as the two 4 x 14" turrets on the KGV class.

This also supports David's idea of increased mass per arc. But I
wouldn't
introduce multi-gun turrets in FT. I'd do that by class. eg 2 x 14"
would
be B, but a 4 x 14" would be A.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
|				      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: RE: B5\FT\Shadows\Telepaths Next: RE: DSII: infantry models?