Prev: Fighter movement Next: [CrystalMud] Unfinished Specification

Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 05:50:25 -0400
Subject: Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad

On 12 Sep 1996 M.J.Elliott@uk22p.bull.co.uk wrote:

(I wrote:)
> >It depends a little on the army. Stealing examples from That Other
> >Company, Tyranids (with lots of various bio-weapons) or Eldar (with
>
> Shouldn't that be That Other Company (tm) (after all we don't want any
law
> suits :-)

Depends - TOC can be different companies, depending on the circumstances
<g>
Of course, with the example above it is pretty obvious which one I
meant!

> >lasguns and shuriken catapults; both use the same power source, but
the
> >shuriken catapults need additional ammo) could have mixed squads
without
> >excessive supply problems... and if you go to armies with all-energy
> >weapons, you could have the same ammo for all weapons - including
heavy
> >support weapons - and mix them freely in a squad.
>
> Bear in mind mixed small arms are only a problem if the different
weapons
> have different Impact Die types. So in the end it depends on how you
work
> the stats for the weapons concerned.

That's exactly why I choose lasgun/shuriken catapult as my example - the

lasgun has a far lower impact when it hits (but is more accurate, IIRC)
than the catapult.

> >Of course, that's for BDS...
>
> Mmmm.... but of course it will all be generic weapon types since we
don't
> want to infringe TOC's (tm) copyrights now do we?

I don't think they can get a copyright for 'lasgun', really <g>

> Anyway, there's probably
> enough in SGII already for you to work out stats for additional weapon

> types. The main emphasis in BDS reagarding aliens will be how
different
> "stock" alien types handle Confidence and Reaction and Command and
Control
> (AFAIK at the moment).
>
> Anybody got any suggestions?

Not for SGII, no. My Eldar (well, the Survivors of Tel-Aearon Star
City, to avoid trouble with TOC(tm) <g>) conversion for DSII plays up
the
importance of psykers - Survivor units have no unit commanders, but
_all_
units suffer the effects of leader loss every time a psyker is lost (in
addition to the fact that the psykers are equivalent to army command
units).

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: Fighter movement Next: [CrystalMud] Unfinished Specification