Prev: Murphy's Laws of Combat Next: RE: Murphy's Laws of Combat

Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad

From: penfold <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 01:45:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad

Date sent:  11-SEP-1996 11:29:14

>>Question:  If I have a squad of, let's say, 6 troopers, can they be
armed
>>with multiple types of small arms?

Yep.

>>ie:  one trooper with a Guass Rifle w/GL, four troopers with Advanced
>>Assault Rifles and a Squad Leader with a Light Autopistol.  Let's say
that
>>they're firing at a target within close range.  I figure their Small
Arms
>>Firepower die should be a d12 ((GR w/GL: 3 x 1 = 3)+(AAR: 2 x 4 =
8)+(LA:
>>1 x 1 = 1).  If this is correct, how do I determine what weapon impact
die
>>to use if I beat my opponent's range die with both my die rolls
(d12,d10
>>and/or d6)?

>The rules do not prevent you from having a squad with mixed small arms.

>However, as you describe above, you can work out the Firepower die OK
but
>it gets tricky when you come to resolving any potential hits. One way
would
>be to use the "Quick and Dirty Option" on p36. This doesn't use Impact
vs
>Armour die rolls. Otherwise you will have to decide somehow which
Impact
>die type to use (say a random choice?).

As much as I hate to disagree with the great Mike Elliot, but I took it
as read that you'd use whichever weapon the majority of firers had, just
as if the odd man had a support weapon rather than a different type of
rifle. So you'd use the AARs. If the number of weapons is a draw, use
the
lowest impact (serves you right).

I'd only give Gurilla, Partizan, Tororist or Criminal forces mixed
armament
though. Regular armies will tend to have the same type of weapon to ease
supply problems (eg. weapons use NATO rifle ammo and M16 boxes for most
Western armies). And most Gurilla and Partizan forces will use the same
type of weapon as their opponent (so they can 'liberate' ammo).

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
|				      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Murphy's Laws of Combat Next: RE: Murphy's Laws of Combat