Prev: RE: Micromachines Ships Next: Re: Micromachines Ships

Re: Micromachines Ships

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 06:19:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Micromachines Ships

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996 timj@uk.gdscorp.com wrote:

> > Do you treat the Micromachines ships for being the scale they're
> > supposed to be, or for the size the model is?  I'd rather do the
> > latter, but I've got way too many capital ships if that's the
> > case.
>
> I always use them for being the scale they're supposed to be. The
range of Star
> Trek models is very good for 'canon' modern ships and cannot be beaten
by any
> other manufacturer past or present.
>
> Doing it the size the model is seems weird to me as if we are being
really picky
> then the models should be little dots if we take the distance between
ships as
> the true scale or even an abstraction.

Yes, but this cannot be done unless you stay in a specific background
where everyone knows how big a ship 'should' be. Since I happily mix
ships
from various manufacturers, most of which have no 'background' (or are
supposed to be single-seat fighters, but I use them as escort class
ships
anyway, or - as in the case of most ST ships, since I'm no trekkie - I
know nothing about it, but like the model), I have to use something to
indicate just how nasty a ship is. Model size is very handy for that -
you
can easily imagine that an 1 cm model is less dangerous than a 6" one,
for
example.

If I played a pure SW scenario, then TIE MicroMachines would work as
fighter groups - but if I use my (MicroMachine) SW Blockade Runners
together with some (Silent Death) Night Hawks against my (scratch-built)
Shiva-class battleship... the Shiva is supposed to be a bit over 2 km
long; the Night Hawks mass 400 tons each, and I'm not going to buy SW
source books to find out how large the Corellian ships are in 'reality',
but it sure looks tiny in the opening sequence of 'A New Hope'. Looking
at the models, the Night Hawks are about 3.5 cm long; I call them DDs.
The Blockade Runner is about 8 cm long; I use it as a BC or BB. The
Shiva
is 15 cm long; I use it as a size 100 SD (...or possibly as a Supership,

but I built it long before I bought MT).

Oh well. YMMV, of course.

Oerjan Ohlson

( Snailmail: Ljuskarrsvagen 44N1, 133 31  Saltsjobaden, SWEDEN
     )
( Telephone: +46 - (0)8-7177891
     )
( Email: f92-ooh@nada.kth.se
     )
-------

Prev: RE: Micromachines Ships Next: Re: Micromachines Ships