Prev: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace) Next: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace)

Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace)

From: "Absolutely Barking Stars" <jw4@b...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 03:30:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace)

> >Well if we're talking sci-fi, they could probably find a way to push
a black
> >hole. ;)
> >Mike Miserendino
>	  I remember a Jerry Pournelle article in which he suggested
dropping
> same-charged particles into a black hole to build up a charge, then
moving
> it around electrostatically!
It'd have to be a bloody big charge to overcome the gravity.
Actually, that reminds me of my favourite 'star drive' theory. This
requires the idea that you can control and generate gravity. What you
do is create a 'virtual mass' in front of your ship, and the body of
the ship accelerates towards it down the gravity well. But of course,
the point of mass is a fixed distance in front of the ship, so now
that's moved. Basically, you can keep on going as far as you like
with this, and it doesn't have any of the problems of buzzard ramjets
or nuclear explosive pulses or riding laser beams etc...

Of course, generating gravity is a but, um, 'nontrivial' :-).

> Rob Paul
> NERC Institute of Virology
> Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR    Tel. (01865) 512361
> rkp@mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk

>   "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of
justice!"

'And I love what we are but I hate what I am
 And I wanna be like you but I hate when you're like them'
		   Maria McKee 'What Else you Wanna Know'
BWFC Fans list Home Page  -
	http://www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/bwfclist/home.html

Prev: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace) Next: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace)