Prev: Re: Some SGII questions Next: Re: Star Wars Full Thrust

Re: Some SGII questions

From: thumann@n... (Charles Thumann)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 15:57:50 -0400
Subject: Re: Some SGII questions

>	  On page 33, 6th paragraph, the book says, "IMPORTANT NOTE: as
> general rule, NO WEAPON MAY BE FIRED MORE THAN ONCE PER TURN; a unit
may
> perform two fire actions in one activation, but they cannot both be
with
> the same weapon(s)."	Now our group took this to mean that under
"normal"
> circumstances this is true, but the activation command was an
exception.

Far be it for me to rules-lawyer ;), but I still think this is wrong.
There is a definite difference between a TURN and an ACTIVATION.  A TURN

is the entire game turn from the first activation to the last.	The
activation is merely the two actions a Squad can perform.  So yes, a
squad can be activated and do all sorts of neat things, like removing
suppression fire or tending to wounded or moving or getting into
position
or close-assaulting or whatever, but it can only fire each weapon once
per turn, not once per activation.

>	  We at first thought this sounded so powerful it couldn't be
right.
> When we have played it this way we discovered an amazing
fact....people
> started using their EW guys to jam communications rather than holding
all
> of their EW chits to use against your support fire.  It didn't
unbalance
> the game, and could add a surprise punch as well.  Besides a bunch of
green
> troops under a LV2 really don't have a great chance of activating a
unit,
> especally if an EW guy is interfereing.  When you condsider that a
platoon
> leader could only activate two units max "if he makes his rolls"  it
really
> isnt that unbalancing.  Besides, both sides can do it.   We've tried
it
> both ways, and the game is great either way!

Yeah, unless one side doesn't have EW ;), like you're fighting low-tech
guerrillas or something.

None of this really matters, of course.

Hey, does anyone out there allow a single squad to activate more than
twice in a single turn?  i.e., a squad activates, then a leader
activates
and re-activatest he squad, then the leader uses its section action to
re-activate the squad a third time?  We haven't allowed this, but I'm
not
sure if the rules specifically make it impossible or not.

Prev: Re: Some SGII questions Next: Re: Star Wars Full Thrust