Prev: Re: Murphy's Laws of Combat Next: Re: CMD Future Wars products

Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 14:00:43 -0400
Subject: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

Sam wrote:
>All together now, one... two... three....
>
>ORION!!!!!
>(for those that don't know, Orion was a drive system tested (*) by NASA
>back in the 60s. Basically, you take a great big metal plate, and stick
>the life support stuff on one side (with *lots* of suspension between
>the two). Then you drop nukes out the back behind the plate. The force
>of the explosion on the plate pushes the spaceship forward. It would
>have worked damn well (I think it's one of the few drives we could
>build with near current technology that could provide a sustained 1g
>acceleration), except some stupid world leaders decided to forbid the
>use of nuclear weapons in space).

Don't forget NERVA.  ORION had many faults that they did not know how to
correct then and probably don't know now.  Such as shock and stress over
prolonged pulses, not to mention radiation problems.  NERVA or Nuclear
Engine for Rocket Vehicle Application, provided the first true nuclear
engine using controlled nuclear reactions for output.  Unfortunately, it
is
difficult to test such devices on Earth, due to regulations and such.
However, nuclear reactors are currently used in some spacecraft.  There
is
hope to allow future incorporation into propulsion systems, such as from
the
folks responsible for the Daedelus and Enzman starship designs.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: Murphy's Laws of Combat Next: Re: CMD Future Wars products