Prev: Re: CMD Future Wars products Next: Re: CMD Future Wars products

Re: CMD Future Wars products

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:29:25 -0400
Subject: Re: CMD Future Wars products

Date sent:  16-AUG-1996 16:19:36

>Paul wrote:

>--My point is that 99% of the grunts on the field DON'T have access to
such
>--things.

>Agreed Now - but in 200 years when we have FTL drives :-) I think they
>would be part of the usual combat regalia. Just look at the Future Wars
>25mm figures they have all sorts of helmet cam's and sensors depicted
>on the model. If you've seen the Predator Movie thats the sort of
sensors
>where going to have and a cammo net ain't gonna make it.

Cammo nets would be useful.

They are handy to block orbital survaylence, especially if they are
made of heat dissipating materials, as the battle dress is. Probably
more
useful on a strategic level to hide units that are not in operation,
and to reduce the chance of casual observation.

>This is one area where SF movie makers have generally screwed up. The
colonial
>marines in Aliens should certainly have had thermal imaging (Hey
Vasquez whats
>them hot spots in the roof - Let's Rock Brrrrrr - end movie) and the
Storm
>Troopers in Star Wars. I think The T1000 had it in T1.

The Marines in Aliens did have IR imaging. Quote "Mabee they don't show
up on infrared at all...  ....Gwaaaagthp!"

>If you can build a faster than light drive then you can mass produce
micro
>thermal imaging systems surely?

Could probably do it now. It's more a cost problem (and it's a bugger on
peripheral vision too).

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
|				      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Re: CMD Future Wars products Next: Re: CMD Future Wars products