Prev: Gen Con '97 Next: Euro GenCon

Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:44:46 -0400
Subject: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

In message <199608131317.JAA05352@sparczilla.East.Sun.COM> you wrote:

>   As a hard-core X-Wing and TIE Fighter veteran, I favored the "FTL
> makes you go real fast" method, and we have decided to adopt this.  I
> should point out that we are also going to use a "maximum speed" for
> ships, above which they cannot manouver, which will be 5*thrust.  The
> way the FTL works is this:
>
>   Ordering FTL: Any ship with an operational FTL drive may choose to
> engage FTL during the movement phase.
>
>   Effects of FTL: A ship moving under FTL moves at double the speed of
> the previous turn.

Does the ship double its velocity the turn it engages the drives? If
so, it means players can use this to may very short, one-turn hops
to get away from danger, or maybe to position themselves ready for
attack. Unless you are willing to allow this use of the FTL drive,
it may be best to have systems shut down in the first turn, but that
velocity only starts doubling in the second and subsequent turns.

>   Leaving the board under FTL: There is no specific rule that defines
> when a ship attempting to flee under FTL has left the board - this is
> left up to the players.  One advantage to this system is that it can
> be used to rapidly move ships (carriers, for example) around the
> outskirts of the board.

Maybe you could have a much larger scale map, which represens a region
much larger than the actual game board. Ships in FTL off this board are
placed on the map, and moved there. You might even have two or more
battle zones within the larger map, with ships FTLing between this
zones. Would make for an interesting scenario, though you'd need several
large tables in order to play it.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.