Prev: cloaking device Next: Re: cloaking device rules

cloaking device rules

From: John Dattalo <jdatalo@e...>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 15:56:00 -0400
Subject: cloaking device rules

A few of my friends and I were designing a few ship recently when we
started tossing around the idea of using cloaking devices on some of the
new ships.  When we referred to the MT rules on cloaking devices.

None of us were very impressed with the fact that you have no contact
with the outside playing area.	The idea that we came up with was that a
ship that is cloaked can act just like any other ship except that none
of its ships system except for thrusters are operational.  All power
returns to ship systems the turn following its uncloaking.  Thus if a
ship decloaks in an enemy ships firing arc they have a free shot at a
defensless and unshielded ship.  The same is true for ships entering
cloak.	During the order phase the ship cannot apply any power or course
change and must write in the move orders that the ship is cloaking.
When the ship is moved the player must announce that the ship is
cloaking.  It moves its full velocity and then a bogey marker is placed
at its location.  During the phase out stage the ships
weapons/screens/shields/etc. are all inoperational.  Any ship attempting
to fire at the ship applies a -1 to all die rolls atempting to hit the
"phased ship"  (this represents firCons not being able to get a good
lock on the target.  This rule also applies to when a ship uncloaks) At
the end of firing, if the phased ship survives it bogey marker is
removed from the board and may move normally according to its movement
orders.

So what do you all think?  I would love to hear any ideas to make these
rules better as well as any other cloaking rules that may exist.

John Dattalo (jdatalo@erinet.com)
  Miamisburg, Ohio, USA.

Prev: cloaking device Next: Re: cloaking device rules