Prev: Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it? Next: Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it?

Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it?

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 00:39:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it?

Aaron P Teske wrote:

> Excerpts from FT: 30-Jul-96 Yamato:  Why did I watch it? by "Mark A.
> Siefert"@csd.uw
> [snip]
> >After spending 158 minutes
> > of my short life watching this movie I came to a vital revelation:
> >
> >	    THIS THING REALLY SUCKS!!!!
>
> Obviously, you are not of the True Otaku.
>
> Thankfully, neither am I.  You're right, it does; and I haven't even
> watched the whole thing.
>
> [snip]
> >	    My next adventure into Anime will probably be the "Mobile
Suit
> > Gundam" series (If I can find it on video.).  Before I blow another
buck
> > and a half on something that could be terrible, can I get some
> > dime-store reviews.
>
> Be very, very careful with Gundam.  I've only seen Gundam 0083; it was
> pretty good, but got rather confusing towards the end... for one
thing,
> they were making references to stuff that happened in a prior movie,
and
> also required you to have a bit of knowledge about the Gundamverse in
> general.
>
> If you want to go for mecha shows, two that are out there are
> "Gunbuster" and "Detonator Orgun"; which one you should watch really
> depends on your mood.  If you think you can take one of those
> "Everything's trying to destroy the Earth, so let's take some nubile
> young females, teach them to use big f*cking mecha, and hope they save
> us in spite of their relationship problems," etc, then go for
Gunbuster.
>  Actually, it's not quite that bad, but you really have to keep in
mind
> that Gainax's only really serious production was _Wings of Honneamise_
> (which is another I'd recommend).  While Gunbuster is Gainax's "let's
> see what humans can do if we try" it's a bit... disguised.  Detonator
> Orgun is in a similar vein (Earth being threatened) but without all
the
> nubile young (animated) females with relationship problems.  It's one
> that I like a great deal, though not all my friends agree with me.
>
> Anyway, good luck.
	Actually what I am looking for is a good capital ship conflict
cartoon.  While I am sure that mecha have their place, I want to see
cruisers and battleships duke it out if lasers and missles while
frizzy-haired protagonists (with badly drawn noses) speak out of sink
about the mysteries of life.
	Needless to say, Yamato didn't float my boats (pun intended).

Later,
Mark

Prev: Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it? Next: Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it?