Prev: Dirtside II Artillery, etc. Next: Re: Dirtside II Artillery, etc.

Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

From: starwarsnut@j... (Paul A Neher)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 18:11:58 -0400
Subject: Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:37:58 -0400 jheck@sparczilla.East.Sun.COM
(Joachim
Heck - SunSoft) writes:

>  Hiya y'all.	It's time for my next question about fighters.	I don't
>think this is really covered by the rules, so I'm mostly just
>wondering what you do in your campaigns.  There are a bunch of
>different types of fighters: regular, fast, heavy, interceptor,
>attack, diet, long-range, torpedo.  My question is whether you combine
>these fighter types and if so, what do you allow and what not?

I personally don't allow it. Fighters are the most deadly of craft, and
adding "layers" to them  is just horriffic ... and the point cost for
them won't balance with the damage tehy can deal. Imagine the most
deadly dual fighter ... the interceptor torpedo fighter.

>  Say, that brings up a third point.  If I always round up the amount
>of mass I can use for systems (again, this is mentioned in FT in their
>discussion of non-FTL ships), why don't all of my ships have odd
>masses one point below the normal mass.  Why ever build a mass 36
>ship when a mass 35 ship can hold just as much stuff?	This is a real
>difficulty for my gaming group because we're building our own fleets
>and this seems like one of those rules loopholes that makes everybody
>add some (almost) useless optimization to stay ahead of the game.
>Argh.	I hate that.

In the gaming realm, those people are called "Rules Lawyers" ... as well
as other not so nice titles, and I choose not to play with them.

Paul

Prev: Dirtside II Artillery, etc. Next: Re: Dirtside II Artillery, etc.