Prev: Anoraks, wasRE: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock! Next: Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

From: "Donald A. Chipman III" <tre@i...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:32:55 -0400
Subject: Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

At 09:37 AM 7/19/96 -0400, you wrote:

>  Hiya y'all.	It's time for my next question about fighters.	I don't
>think this is really covered by the rules, so I'm mostly just
>wondering what you do in your campaigns.  There are a bunch of
>different types of fighters: regular, fast, heavy, interceptor,
>attack, diet, long-range, torpedo.  My question is whether you combine
>these fighter types and if so, what do you allow and what not?
>
>  I think my group finally agreed on a system where you can take a
>regular, fast or heavy fighter and add to it the interceptor, attack,
>long-range or torpedo abilities.  Something like that.  Some of the
>properties conflict (interceptor and attack) so that seems like a good
>reason to make those mutually exclusive and make the fighters
>"layered".
>
>  So what do you do?

I had worked out a modular fighter idea; basically a standard fighter
that
would use mission specific modules to perform a variety of special
functions:

Modular Fighters:  This technological upgrade allows the player to build
special fighters which can be fitted with mission specific modules.
These
fighters, which cost 6 each (36 for a full wing), can take on the
characteristics of any Advanced Fighter (MT, Pg 12) that the player's
race
can build.  This reconfiguring must be done within a fighter bay and
takes
several hours; thus, the player must specify how his fighters are
configured
before combat begins.  A wing must have all 6 fighters in the same
configuration.

These were designed for campaign use only; it allowed players to carry
different fighters to several battles without having to stop at
starbases/planets along the way to trade out their interceptors for
heavy
fighters, etc.	In straight out one shot battles, however, they just
aren't
cost effective.

I also came up with this additional fighter type:

Recon Fighters
Recon Fighters are long range patrol craft designed with increased
sensor
abilities and limited ECM.  Any attempt to attack recon fighters suffers
-1 bonus.  Furthermore, Recon fighters have a 12' active scan radius.

But I forget what they were priced.

Take care,

Tre

Prev: Anoraks, wasRE: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock! Next: Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!