Prev: Re: DSII scenario Next: Re: Dirtside II points

Re: Dirtside II points

From: jjm@z... (johnjmedway)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:35:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Dirtside II points

writes:
>>  >Sure, but if all other command stands can call in indirect fire,
why
>>  >can the arty's own commander not do it? It's a game-procedural
>>  >problem, which disallows something which can and does happen in the
real
>>  world.
>>  The point is, he doesn't have to call indrect fire unless he is
seperated
>>  from the unit. If a line of sight is traceable froim the arty unit
to the
>>  target, it is direct fire and therefore doesn't need to be called
it.

I guess I wasn't clear enough as to why this was an issue.

1. The mortars were behind obscuring woods, so they couldn't
   use direct fire.

2. Their commander was at the woods edge and could see the target.

3. The arty falls in the activation following the observation.

4. The act of observation counts as the activation for that unit,
   hence they do not have another activation to spend on delivering
   the munitions.

Ways of handling this problem:

1. Make observation not an action, so the chit can be placed in another
   unit's activation. (Feels odd, but may be workable)

2. Bring IF artillery called in by the unit's commander down
immediately,
   rather than on the next activation. (Makes arty pretty butch)

---
|  john_medway@zycor.lgc.com  |  Landmark Graphics Corp  |  512.292.2325

---
|		 "I am not a user. I am a human being."

---

Prev: Re: DSII scenario Next: Re: Dirtside II points