Prev: Re: ST ?? Next: Re: aliens conversion

Re: ST ??

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 00:07:29 -0400
Subject: Re: ST ??

> Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:
>
>  > What's ST?

And Mark Seifert wrote:

>  Most probably "Star Trek."

Right. And yes, RL meant Real Life.  Sorry -- gotta watch those
acronyms!

The sensor rules Monty referred to are sensor "sweeps" to search an arc
for
cloaked ships. The rules we've been using are:

Any ship equipped with superior or enhanced sensors may attempt to scan
for
cloaked ships. The scanning ship must scan through a specified firing
arc
(one arc only), and rolls 1d6. Any cloaked ships in that firing arc (out
max. sensor range of 54”) are revealed on a 6 for enhanced sensors, or
a 5-6
for superior sensors. The  position fix is not precise enough to target
the
cloaked ship with beam weapons, etc, but it can be affected by area
effect
weapons (if you use any).

After a bit of playtesting, I feel like this makes it far too easy to
detect
cloaked ships. If you have more than 3 or 4 ships scanning, you're
almost
guaranteed to locate most cloakers out there long before they get close
enough to uncloak and attack. I've thought about trying the following
rule in
future games:

Roll one die, modified as follows; any cloaked ships are revealed on a
6.
Superior sensors:  +2
Enhanced sensors: +0
Basic (Active) sensors: -2
-1 for each 6" range to the cloaked ship
+1 for each 3" velocity of the cloaked ship

Of course, this is a good deal more complex and would be difficult to
play
without a referee. Any comments?

Scott

Prev: Re: ST ?? Next: Re: aliens conversion