Prev: mines and sensors Next: Re: Question About Mines

Re: Battlepod Swarm from Hell...

From: Jerry Han <jerry@u...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 08:48:45 -0400
Subject: Re: Battlepod Swarm from Hell...

Niko Mikkanen wrote:
> > [MUNCH]
> <BURP>

[BELCH]  (8-)

> > 3) Use the Nova Cannon or the Wave Gun to set up a "cone of death"
that
> > the pods can't get through.  Especially if you're on a somewhat
restricted

> This is definitely a "gamey" tactic, except where the restricted
combat
> area can be justified: Asteroid belt or similar. Otherwise, using the
> edges of an infinite gameboard (=space) against your opponent is a
> classical example of munchkinism. But then again, unless the
background
> can adequatly explain them, so are the battle pods...

Oh, it's definately a "gamey" tactic, but if the opponent, after all the
above, is willing to send 100 battlepod type ships at you, I figure that
fair is fair.  Besides, it isn't that gamey... figure two capital ships
(not impossible in large task forces, or if you're refighting Jutland or
something to that effect (8-) ), and they can "sterilize" a cone 36"
long,
and 24" across at the base?

Actually, if you're in games where tossing Nova Cannon blasts around is
good thing (8-) has anybody tried play testing the idea of allowing
shields to subtract from Nova Cannon damage?  Some sort of "contested"
die rolling system where the person with the Cannon rolls damage as
normal,
while the person who got hammered rolls D6 equivalent to the level of
shielding available.  Subtract... if the total is reduced to zero or
lower,
then the cannon shot does no damage.  "Captain!  The shields have been
reduced 50%, but they're holding!"  That type of thing.  (8-)

> Just my two cents worth.. No wait, we're floating the Finnish Mark...
So
> now it's only cent and a half... Better grab it quick before it
disappears!

Hee.  Watch how the Canandian dollar bounces around some days.	(8-)

J.

--
     Jerry Han - Network Engineering - UUNET Canada, Toronto, ON, Canada
	     http://www.uunet.ca/~jerry -  email:jerry@uunet.ca

Prev: mines and sensors Next: Re: Question About Mines