Prev: Re: Starting a Demo? Next: Re: Gen-Con / Tuffley Visit

aliens conversion

From: thumann@n... (Charles Thumann)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 21:19:32 -0400
Subject: aliens conversion

The following is my attempt at converting the source material given in
the
Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual into vehicles with Full Thrust
and Dirtside Statistics.  I dont have Stargrunt II, which these would
probably work best with, so Ill leave it to someone else to work out
those
stats.

ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES FOR FULL THRUST AND DIRTSIDE II

M577A Armored Personel Carrier
	"We came outta that APC spitting sweat and blood.  Up ahead we
heard screaming as the twenty-mike-mike chopped the bugboys into salad.
Sarge screamed Split Orange, an we broke into a four-by-four formation,
charging the hill with the smarts in support and the APC on overwatch.
The bugboys saw us coming and launched a buzz-bomb.  Theyd have had us
cold if it werent for the Loot in the APC - he caught their launch flash
and iced the suckers with the peebees before their bomb had even left
the
tube!  Sdamndest thing I ever saw!"

MEDIUM vehicle (class 3), HI-MOB
WHEELED mobility, CFE power, Armour 3A 1 x HKP/1 in Turret with ENHANCED
FireCon, 1 x APSW ENHANCED ECM, STEALTH-1, capacity for 3 Infantry
Teams.
Basic Signature 3, Effective Signature 2 (D10) POINTS:	142

	Logic:	Ive made it size 3 so it can hold three infantry teams
(the book says it holds up to twelve passengers).  Ive given it ablative
armor because it supposedly is surfaced with 2mm polymer resin that
provides ablative protection against pulsed lasers.  Ive given it armor
3
because thats the best for this size vehicle, but that might be too much
since it is described as unable to stop dedicated tank-killing weapons.
	The book describes pretty bitching sensors, though the M40
Rideway
tank is supposed to have better sensors, so I gave the APC only Enhanced
FireCon.
	The APC is supposed to have radar absorbent materials, which
justifies the Stealth-1, though this too could be too much since it says
the radar-absorbant materials are only a partial success.
	The book describes all sorts of fire control jammers and
decoy-dispensors which account for the ECM.
	The A version of the APC is armed with a turret- mounted phased
plasma gun, which sounds a little bit like David Drakes powerguns.
Cadmium Telluride pellets of five grams mass are fed into a laser where
it
is vaporized to plasma and accelerated by the magnetic coil to high
velocities, around 5000 m/s.  Even though its a plasma weapon, its low
rate of fire and high penetration and range (4,000 meters on a good day)
led me to classify it as a Hyper-Kinetic Penetrator.  I really dont see
how this weapon can be used to good effect against infantry.  However,
the
gun is double-barrelled, and fires in sequence, so you might be able to
justify this as a Mass Driver Cannon instead.

M577A2 Armored Personell Carrier
	"Yeah, right.  What are these ideal conditions?  I never goet to
see them.  If the weather is even slightly crappy the beam is screwed.
As
a rule of thumb I never pulse at anything over a thousand meters cause
of
atmospheric scattering-that and the giveaway DEW line."

MEDIUM vehicle
(class 3), HI-MOB. WHEELED mobility, CFE power, Armour 3A 1 x Enhanced
ADS, 1 x APSW ENHANCED ECM, STEALTH-1 Basic Signature 3, Effective
Signature 2 (D10) POINTS:  428

	Logic:	This is the anti-aircraft version of the APC.  I just
decided its 40mW free-electron lasers were an area defense system,
usable
against ground targets with the same effectiveness as a RFAC.

M577A3 Armored Personel Carrier MEDIUM vehicle (class 3), HI-MOB.
WHEELED
mobility, HMT Power, Armour 3A 1 x MDC/2 in Turret with ENHANCED
FireCon,
1 x APSW ENHANCED ECM, STEALTH-1, capacity for 2 Infantry Teams.  Basic
Signature 3, Efffective Signature 2 (D10) COST:  158

	Logic:	This is supposed to be the most radical new design of
APC,
with two 20 MeV turboalternator powered charged particle beam cannon