Prev: Re: Starting a Demo? Next: RE: Starting a Demo?

Re: Starting a Demo?

From: starwarsnut@J... (Paul A Neher)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 15:01:23 -0400
Subject: Re: Starting a Demo?

On Sat, 6 Jul 1996 16:44:16 -0400 FieldScott@aol.com writes:
>Several people have suggested using Star Trek or Star Wars as
backrounds
>because they're both familiar. I've never run a demo game, but it seems
to me
>that SW might be better than ST.  Trek ships, weapons, etc. all behave
differently from standard FT, and there are a lot of Trek-fanatics out
there (no offense intended) who might be apt to dismiss FT as being a
poor Trek simulation. (ie -- "shields don't act like that," or "why
can't I do this maneuver when Picard did it in such-and-such episode"
and so on.) Has anyone experienced this?

>Scott Field

I've not had this problem. When you explain the rules, let the players
know that you have tried to stay as true to the genre as possible
without violating the game rules. I have had to tweek SW stats quite a
bit to be true to the games. I mean, you can't exactly build a Star
Destroyer with 160 BATTERIES and 20 various fighter squadrons on it and
still be reasonable.

For ST, I classify by beam batteries. Most ST ships fire with the same
weapon beams in the front three arcs so I clump as 3-directional beams.
It works well enough ...

Paul

Prev: Re: Starting a Demo? Next: RE: Starting a Demo?