Prev: FT: so long, farewell... Next: Re: Starting a Demo?

RE: Starting a Demo?

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 05:24:38 -0400
Subject: RE: Starting a Demo?

Date sent:  4-JUL-1996 10:07:34

>Hi Ya-all:

>	So far there is only one game store in the South Eastern
>Wisconsin Area that sells Full Thrust and other GZG products.	In order

>to spread the holy word of Full Thrust and increase GZG availability, I

>want to start a few demo games.  However, I don't have the foggiest
idea
>about how to get started.  Does anyone out there in Internet-land have
>any suggestions?

For FT, participation is the way to go. Use a bunch of 'cruiser' sized
ships from any background. Obviously Star Trek would be a good choice
as it is popular and well known. The ships should be designed to blow
up relatively quickly (Maximum 1 shield) and have limited arc armament
to encourage maneuvering. A thrust of 4 is usually sufficient. (2 is too
slow and 6 is too fast for beginners)

Once you have the designs, it is important to produce clear playsheets.
These should consist of a single ship diagram (Shaped like the ship, not
a generic outline) and an order track. A5 is about the right size. These
can then either be photocopied (To use pen or pencil) or faced with
transparent sticky backed plastic (To use OHP pens). The second option
is initially more expensive, but looks more 'professional' and makes the
sheets re-usable.

You'll also need a metal tape measure (for movement), a few 'clock face'
diagrams (for fire arcs and turning) and possibly a dowl rod marked off
in 12" bands (range). Make sure the dice you have are colourful and
quite
large.

Oh. A nice black cloth and some 'scenery' (polystyrene asteroids. Planet
balls etc) wouldn't go amiss either.

The point is to make a good first impression. Get a good looking game
that people can play. Let the game do the rest.

And also use 'Adam's rule of thumb' when dealing with any possible
problems while running the game. If two options are presented (Are
they in that fire arc or not?) choose the one that will cause the
most carnage. 8-)

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
|				      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: FT: so long, farewell... Next: Re: Starting a Demo?