Prev: RE: New FT Gamer (long) Next: Re: Those annoying aliens...

Kra'Vak Guns

From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson@q...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 22:11:39 -0400
Subject: Kra'Vak Guns

I've been listening to the debate about the Kra'Vak on the list
now for about three weeks and I've found that the following should
work really well for balancing their weapons somewhat.

Scatterguns:- I think that a -1 to the die role for each2" or 3" the
firing
ship is away from the target for Scatterguns is a good idea.

Railguns:- Allowing PDAF's and ADAF's (NOT "c" Batteries) to shoot down
railgun shots in the same way as missiles (only on 6's) .  In the
"Aliens:
Colonial Marine Technical Manual" the U.S.S. Sulaco is described as
having Laser batteries that are used to shoot down fighters, missiles
AND railgun shots.  For this, in the "orders" phase, the player _must_
note down how many PDAF's/ADAF's are being dedicated to Railgun defence
and these can then be used ONLY for railgun defence, not for hitting
missiles or fighters.  PDAF's only protect the ship they are on and
ADAF's
have their area effect as normal.

I think that these rules are simple and effective without making the
Kra'Vak too UNDER-powered (they should still be the all-scary nasty
Chiggie-bug thingies).

Also- for all of you who are having trouble with dealing with the bugs,
here's a tip: BEAT THEM AT THEIR OWN GAME!!!!!
Use lots of escorts and small cruisers which are almost as maneuverable
as
the Kra'Vak ships and this will really confuse the Kra'Vak player.  Then
one or two (at most) capitals with Wave Guns to do some heavy damage and
attract his fire.  I've found this works really well.  Also I've been
meaning to try using four Mass 40 capital ships with a Nova Cannon on
each
and sit them at the back of the board and keep my fleet behind them and
keep firing Nova shots all game.  Even with their manouverability they
can't dodge templates that cover almost the whole table and ignore
armour!!!  Never tried it but it feels kinda fun :-)!

Kelvin Henderson.

Prev: RE: New FT Gamer (long) Next: Re: Those annoying aliens...