Prev: Re: Geo Hex terrain in the UK Next: Re: FT Excel Spreadsheets

Re: SG2 Rocks! (Questions)

From: M.J.Elliott@u...
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 06:58:42 -0400
Subject: Re: SG2 Rocks! (Questions)

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes
---------------------------
From: Elliott.MJ at BULL-UK03-TITAN
Date: 5/16/96 2:02PM
To:
/DT=RFC-822/DV=FTGZG-Lābolton.ac.uk/C=FR/ADMD=ATLAS/PRMD=BULL/OU=INTERNE
T at X400GTW
-------

Hi, I am resending this cuase our mail server was down last week and I'm

not sure what went out and what didn't.

Mike

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________
Author:  Elliott.MJ at BULL-UK03-TITAN
Date:	 16/05/96 14:02

°snip§
>Now, I have some questions.  :)

OK, heres some answers:

>1) One of the choices for unit integrity is being contained within a 6"

>diameter circle.  Say I have a 6" diameter card (okay, so it's a 3"
burst
>template!).  If I hold that over the squad, must they be fully
contained
>within the circle, or just can they be sticking out a bit?   I realize
>that is kind of picky, but I know people who will be distressed that it

>isn't more definitive.

We count the figure's head as the "point of reference" if his head is
within the circle, he's within integrity. Don't get too nit picky
though.
You have to set a distance if you're going to have a unit integrity
rule,
but can you really place figures on the table to within 1mm? The rule is

really there to catch the case where a squad is obviously too spread
out.

>2) It is not on the list of actions table, but "taking position" is an
>action, right?  It wasn't very clear - the first time I read it, I
thought
>you HAD to be in position before you fire.  Upon re-reading, it appears

>that "taking position" is solely to give the squad the defensive
>advantages.

See p.13 UNITS IN POSITION para 2 line 1. Getting into position takes
one
action. You _don't_ have to be in position to fire, but it sure helps
when
you are a target!

>3) Can you have a mixed-quality level squad?  I realize it is probably
>pain to figure out, but a lot of classic organizations involving mixing

>green recruits in among other squads to spread them out.  I think your
>answer will probably be, you can if you want to, but it's probably not
>worth doing.

No, a squad can only have one quality level. On the subject of adding
green
replacements to squads see p.60 REPLACEMENT TROOPS.

>4) Can you have a troop type that can have a more "open" cohesion?  For

>example, Heinlein's cap troopers seemed to operate with huge
separations -
>of course, being orbitally dropped tends to force that.  But your rule
for
>drops says you have to regroup.   Maybe what needs to happen is that
you
>draw your leadership chits for the specified team leaders, and they
take a
>"regroup" action when they hit dirt to gather up the nearest
>individuals.  Hmmm, unless you have a idea on that, I'll chew on it a
bit.

Well as I said in answer to (1) above, the unit integrity distance is
somewhat arbitary, so I guess you could change it if you want. The only
effect an increased unit integrity distance will have is that the unit
will
not need to take so many Reorganise actions to regain integrity.

Of course, if you take it to the extreme, you could allow every figure
in
the squad to be a Detached Element...

>5) A specific question.  If I have a twin mount, how to I resolve fire?

>Example, a twin-mount SAW on a vehicle.  Do I just roll the support
>firepower die twice (this is how DS2 handled multiple mounts)?

Yes. (That was an easy one!)

>6) The above mentioned twin mount.  I want to represent a vehicle model
>have.	It has a small turret with two MG barrels, and no other weapon.
>With the rule on using space, would this be a 1 space turret (merging
in
>the free SAW that's assumed), or would it be a two space turret, and I
>just don't have the free SAW?

See p.32, col 1 para 5. "...the basic free SAW is always assumed to be
an
EXTERNAL mount weapon..." - so it can't be in a turret. Thus in your
example, its a two space turret, and you just don't have the free SAW.

>7) In close combat, you have a separate listing for edged weapons and
>pistols.  Does that mean if my figure has both, he gets both
modifiers??
>(example, most "assault" troops in That Other Game).

In our CC system, it is assumed that a figure can only use one CC weapon
at
any one time, so he doesn't get both modifiers only the one for the
weapon
he is actually using. Of course, you could do it differently if you want

to...

>8) How would you recommend handling jump packs?  You mention them in
the
>section about dropping out of a VTOL, but don't mention them anywhere
>else.	Would this be an additional item, or is "fast" PA equipped with
>them already?	 I can be happy coming up with my own rule, but I was
>curious if you left them out, or are planning them for the supplement.
>Love the working name ("Bugs Don't Surf")!!!  :)   I assume you will
>accept submissions for this (equipment or aliens)?  Would you prefer we

>just discuss them on the list, or would you like private email?

Jump/grav packs are used for high altitude or orbital insertion (i.e.
they
are the SF equivalent of parachutes). They can also be used for dropping

from VTOLs, but they don't confer any other combat advantages. You could

say that a particular type of PA has a jump or grav pack built in if you

want....

Yes, we kinda like the name too... We are happy for ideas for BDS to be
discussed here. All submissions are welcome, but we reserve the right to

cut, change, mangle and otherwise modify anything you send in. We may
also
need to modify stuff to avoid problems with copyright wrt other
published
material.(Come on guys here's your chance... tell us what you want
included...)

BTW, I like the idea of doing a Kryomek for SG2. I'll speak to Jon about

that one.

>°snip§...I like it a lot, and I'm looking forward to converting my
gaming
>group over to it.  This gave me a ton of ideas for things to try,
>organizations to write up, scenarios to convert, and campaigns to play
>(nice simple campaign rules, BTW).

>Great job!!!

Thank you. Glad you like the game!

> John Phelps

Mike Elliott, GZG

Prev: Re: Geo Hex terrain in the UK Next: Re: FT Excel Spreadsheets