Prev: Re: DSII: Artillery Ammo Question Next: RE: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons

Re: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons

From: schirmer@f...
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:12:14 -0400
Subject: Re: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons

Jerry Han wrote:

>The Mote around Murchuson's Eye?  I wasn't aware that there was another
book
>like that; I thought the sequel was called "The Gripping Hand", and
that
>was it.

Yeah, the sequel was called "The Gripping Hand."

>But, you're right, there are no Saurons in "Mote in God's Eye".  In
fact,
>if I remember correctly, the both take place in the same Universe, but
>"Mote" happens about 500 years after the Saurons were wiped out, but
after
>they managed to cause the collapse of the First Empire of Man.  (Well,
>think the time line is close, at any rate.)

"Mote" takes place during the Second Empire of Man, long after the end
of
the Sauron Wars (I don't know the number of years though).  There *is* a
character in the book of mixed Sauron and Havener stock
.
 The Sauron survivors from the war w/ the First Empire set up shop on
Haven and tried to rebuild their power during the ensuing collapse of
interstellar
civilization.  The end result of this was the interbreeding of the
Sauron with
the humans on Haven (already hardy people - Haven's not a nice place) so
the
Haveners during the time of "Mote" are genetically superior human/Sauron
hybrids.

Robert Schirmer
schirmer@focus.msc.cornell.edu

Prev: Re: DSII: Artillery Ammo Question Next: RE: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons