Prev: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games Next: Re: [FT] Military Overcharging

Re: US CVs WW2

From: aebrain@a...
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 101 07:07:06 GMT
Subject: Re: US CVs WW2

> The US had, what, 4 carriers in 1941? I remember from my World War II
history
> class at university that they had 140-odd carriers by war's end, with
another
> 50 in some stage of construction.

In 1941 the US had Lexington, Saratoga (both converted from
partially-built
HUGE Battlecruisers after WW1), the more modern standard design
Enterprise,
Yorktown and Hornet plus the smaller Wasp, and the older and smaller
Ranger.

CV -2  Lexington 14Dec27  33,000
CV -3  Saratoga  16Nov27  33,000
CV -4  Ranger	 4Jun34 14,500
CV -5  Yorktown  30Sep37  19,800
CV -6  Enterprise  12May38 19,800
CV -7  Wasp  25Apr40 14,700
CV -8  Hornet 20Oct41 20,000

The Japanese had 2 big carriers based on partially-completed HUGE
battlecruisers, Akagi and Kaga, with smaller standard ones, Hiryu and
Soryu,
and 2 larger, rather more modern ones completing (Zuikaku, Shokaku).
Plus 2
small CVLs, Zuiho and Shoho of about 11,000 t each.

Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu and Soryu got sunk in the battle of Midway - which
was a
catastrophe for the IJN. They lost the core of their fleet, 2/3 of their

effective capital ships.

But...and this is the big but... the USA produced 14 Essex-class
(greatly
enlarged Enterprise design) in time for the war. Plus 9 of the smaller
Independence design, plus many more of the smaller still escort
carriers.

Essentially they built an entire 1941 Carrier Fleet in both 43 and 44...
there
would have been more, except that a) many weren't completed before late
45/46
and b) after mid 43, it was obvious that no more were needed.

CV -9  Essex Dec 42 27,100
CV-10  Yorktown II 43  27,100
CV-11  Intrepid 43  27,100
CV-12  Hornet II  43  27,100
CV-16  Lexington II  43  27,100
CV-17  Bunker Hill  43	27,100
CV-18  Wasp II 43  27,100
CV-13  Franklin  Jan 44  27,100
CV-14 Ticonderoga   44	27,100
CV-15  Randolph    44  27,100
CV-19  Hancock	44  27,100
CV-20  Bennington   44	27,100
CV -31	BonHommeRichard  Nov 44  27,100
CV -38	Shangri-La  44	27,100

CVL-22	Independence  Jan 43  11,000
CVL-23	Princeton  43  11,000
CVL-24	Belleau Wood  43  11,000
CVL-25	Cowpens  43 11,000
CVL-26	Monterey 43  11,000
CVL-27	Langley II  43 11,000
CVL-28	Cabot 43 11,000
CVL-29	Bataan Nov 43 11,000
CVL-30	San Jacinto Dec 43 11,000

CREDITS:
http://www.marshallnet.com/~manor/ww2/japcv.html
http://www.marshallnet.com/~manor/ww2/carriers.html
http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/

This message was sent using the AustarMetro Internet Web Mail System.
http://www.austarmetro.com.au/

Prev: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games Next: Re: [FT] Military Overcharging