Prev: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…? Next: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…?

Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…?

From: Jon Tuffley <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 13:38:46 +0000
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…?

On 1 Feb 2016, at 13:27, Roger Bell_West <roger@firedrake.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 01:19:54PM +0000, Jon Tuffley wrote:
>> With the great reaction to the first two MOONGRUNT figure packs - and
six new packs almost ready for release - I'd like to gather ideas and
suggestions for ground combat on Luna, Mars or any other environments -
anywhere with either vacuum or a thin and/or hostile atmosphere, and
lower-that-1G gravity (down to zero/microgravity for ship, station or
asteroid attacks). Ideas for rule mods to Stargunt, (or indeed for
GRUNTZ, TOMORROW'S WAR whatever other SF rules you happen to like and
use) or just general discussion of the topics, anything welcome…..

> Some ideas:

Nice start, Roger!

> - it will be easier to take troops out of action, and therefore harder
>  to kill them, compared with ground combat. If you get a small breach
>  in your suit, you may slap a patch on it and stay down, rather than
>  poking your head up to be shot at again.

I see it as a case of extremes, with little in the middle - damage to
suits will divide into "patchable" or "non-patchable" - if the latter,
you're pretty much dead regardless of what physical injury the hit
causes to the wearer.

> - low gravity may well mean lower tactical movement speeds for
>  infantry (you don't want to bounce up out of cover), but higher for
>  vehicles.

Good point re infantry speeds if they want to stay low…. but at the
other extreme they could cover ground very fast in a series of loping
hops, at the cost of increased exposure and vulnerability….. and a
relatively low-powered thruster pack could move troops very fast in
"flight" mode…..

> - in built environments, you really don't want to blow holes in the
>  walls, which will be no thicker than the company could be persuaded
>  to pay for. Personal armour may well be thicker than this! So you
>  might have shotgun- or dart-type weapons for use when possible, and
>  a locked armoury with the big guns for when you're going to lose the
>  station/ship if you don't fight.

Jon (GZG)