Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL

From: Tamsin Piper <Tamsin@t...>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 23:23:17 +0000
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL

In Jack Campbell's "Lost Fleet" series there are two forms of
interstellar jumping:

Jump points - I can't remember off the top of my head if the ships have
a jump drive or not, but hyperspace can only be entred at certain points

in a system and these points will each lead to only one destination.
Transit can take days to weeks with only some relation to physical
distance.

Hypernet - ships with an appropriate hypernet key can enter the hypernet

system through gates and jump to any other system on the hypernet.
Transit is very rapid.

Oh, and then there's this one from "Bill the Galactic Hero" to consider:

      Bloater Drive[edit

<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bill,_the_Galactic_Hero&acti
on=edit&section=4>]

The standard ways of circumventing relativity in 1950s and 1960s science

fiction werehyperspace
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_%28science_fiction%29>,subspac
e <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_%28science_fiction%29>and
spacewarp. Harrison's contribution was the "Bloater Drive". This
enlarges the gaps between the atoms of the ship until it spans the
distance to the destination, whereupon the atoms are moved back together

again, reconstituting the ship at its previous size but in the new
location. An occasional side-effect is that the occupants see a planet
drifting, in miniature, through the hull.

On 01/11/2015 23:01, Hugh Fisher wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 04:49:57 +1100, Jon Tuffley <jon@gzg.com> wrote:
>
>> Continuing the very useful discussion on FTL, I'm going to get my
>> long pointy stick out once more and prod the ListMind Collective
>> again to keep things going…..
>>
>> How many SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT styles/concepts of FTL travel can we

>> come up with between us from SF movies, TV and literature?
>>

> There's the "hyper limit" modifier such as Honor Harrington and
Cherryh