Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it. Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

RE: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: Douglas Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 14:20:15 +0000
Subject: RE: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

For leaving the table, I keep in my mind a concept of 'battle space', a
limited area where command and control makes sense, and
entrance/reentrance requires involved reintegration of IFF and tactical
linkage. Best if 'you can come back, but for (x turns) you are
EVERYBODY'S target.'

Especially if part of a larger battle, and you are assumed, having left
this 'battle space', to have entered another furball.

But, from my POV, if there is ONE maneuver, and ONE cycle of fire,
however abstract, I'd not be claiming a period of minutes per turn.

If you are putting 'limits' on speeds, I'd suggest it's more about
putting limits on turns at higher speeds. And, I'm afraid, that's where
hex-based rules have advantages. Painful, ones, I'll admit. (Sorry, I'm
having flashbacks to ancient arguments about 'if I'm going 10K MUs...'
proving FT2 was broken...)

By the way, I'm comfortable with something in the 4xthrust range. Yes,
the cracks show, but most of us don't get crazy about it.

Cinema fighters, along with the WWII Pacific baggage, create most of the
issues with Cinematic fighters, don't you know. I'd think the
problematic goal is one set of rules that can allow both reasonable or
heroic as you wish, as long as everyone is forced to know they're
choosing either the blue or the red capsule. Is Continuum close to that?

Doug