Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it. Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:26:26 -0400
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

Exactly.  It will be a rare event to have two forces meeting randomly in
the depths of space.  Most conflict will occur around tactical (near a
station, mining facility, staging areas) or strategic points (L4s, L5s,
Jump Gates, Worm Hole entryways, etc).	To that end you're generally
going
to see slower speeds.

If you were to game deep space fights both sides will generally be going
at
a very high rate of speed ensuring a single high speed pass.  By the
time
you wheel around to head in for pass two your target will be too far
away
to catch.  If you were to happen upon a ship dead in space (motionless)
you
may or may not slow down but if you do you're going to start burning hot
for a while to do so.  Resulting in no speed.

You want to be Really Careful(tm) about trying to bring Real Life(tm)
into
Star Ship gaming.  Most assumptions won't hold very long at all i.e.
there
is no sneaking in space, there is no perfect heat sinks in space, you
will
detect "enemy" vessels giving you many hours or days to respond, energy
expenditure of any sort is measurable allowing you to predict intent,
etc.

D.