Prev: Re: Message Blocked for Profanity? Next: Re: Message Blocked for Profanity?

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: "Hugh Fisher" <laranzu@o...>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 22:07:30 +1100
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

> What Movement System do you use, or have you used in the past when
> you've been actively playing FT? Just the basic Cinematic movement?
One
> of the Vector options, and if so which one(s)? Which do you prefer,
and
> why?

Haven't played Full Thrust for about 4 years now, due to other
commitments
and changes in the local gaming group.

Before that, friendly and tournament games were all with Cinematic
movement.
It's not hard to explain or learn, and is a good match for a lot of
TV/film
science fiction. To me, Full Thrust is a more "cinematic" space combat
game
than hard science.

I've also tried Vector in friendly games, and an almost identical
movement
system in another tabletop space game. I like the idea, but tracking
exact
angle increments is a pain. Clock points with hex bases are easy to
align.
Trying to calculate and accumulate exact angles is trickier, and can
lead
to arguments when moving after missiles have been placed.

Plus the current system doesn't handle fighters.

> Have you modified any of the published (officially or fan-done)
systems
> to your own tastes, if so how, why and did it work?

Yeah, I designed a new set of movement rules:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~laranzu/fullthrust/rules/ftspatial.html

Experimented upon^H^H^H^H with friends who thought it was OK but prefer
Cinematic. The Emerald Coast guys said they'd tried it out and wasn't
too bad. (But they ended up deciding not to include it in Continuum.)

--
	 cheers,
	 Hugh Fisher

Prev: Re: Message Blocked for Profanity? Next: Re: Message Blocked for Profanity?