Prev: Re: Message Blocked for Profanity? Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: Zoe Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:59:26 +1100
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

On 21-Oct-15 9:28 AM, Bobby wrote:
> I'm still the fuddy duddy I suppose, because I still play cinematic
> movement. I ran a couple of games at a small local con a while back
> and was able to get stragglers involved in the game in no time at all.

> But that's not the main reason that I like cinematic movement. It
> helps me focus on the game more than vector movement.

Agreed. I went to the extent of manufacturing large quantities of
handwavium to explain why the local gravitational gradient allows
cinematic movement within the ecliptic plane (and nowhere else). While
it's possible to use conventional Newtonian thrust - vector movement -
anywhere, the thrust drive (related to the FTL drive) which gives
greater maneuverability can only be used in the ecliptic. This
"channels" incoming attackers into one plane, making defence possible.

If you go vector, you really need to go 3D.