Prev: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules Next: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules

Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules

From: "Hugh Fisher" <laranzu@o...>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:20:41 +1100
Subject: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:50:27 +1100, Zoe Brain <aebrain@webone.com.au>
wrote:

> textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
> One simple solution that works well:
> A PDF can either attack *all* targets in a 60 degree sector. No more
> than 1 PDF per sector in this barrage mode.
> Or *one* target in any sector.
>
> It means that it's advantageous for fighter and missiles to attack
from
> multiple directions, but swamping the defences is harder.

Solutions which make individual PDS more effective, like this and John
Tailby's earlier, just increase the number of fighters / missiles needed

to swamp the defence. I call this the "N + 1" problem: the attacker
should
not succeed only by bringing more fighters/missiles. The end point is
that
if the "average" PDS on a ship can inflict enough casualties to stop a
soap bubble carrier, any lesser number of fighters will be useless.

The rewrite is intended both to stop a large number of fighters/missiles

 from automatically succeeding AND ensure that a small number of
fighters/missiles can still inflict damage. Both ends of the problem
need
to be addressed, not just moving the midpoint.

--
	 cheers,
	 Hugh Fisher

Prev: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules Next: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules