Prev: RE: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!) Next: Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 09:01:09 +1000
Subject: Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

> That is similar in some ways to the classic "Seastrike" random
objective method.

I have the original "yellow folder" edition of "Seastrike" (bought in my
final year at high-school), and played a lot of games, so I stole the
game's basic structure for my old "Belt Wars" hard-SF Full Thrust
universe. I think there is a lot to be said for hidden asymmetrical
objectives. For one thing, it makes it difficult to minimax up a
"perfect" army/fleet.

As for referring to <game> as "basically Warhammer/W40K", we should
remember that 1) people are lazy and stupid, and 2) at a certain level
of abstraction *all* table-top wargames are basically Warhammer/W40K. On
the other hand, there is nothing wrong with introducing a new
game/ruleset to people who are already familiar with Warhammer/W40K by
comparing and contrasting the new with the already-familiar.

I have not played Bolt Action at all. Having looked at a rules summary,
I think the idea of randomising the order in which units can activate is
not without merit, but I'll have to think about it further.