Prev: RE: SG:AC discussions Next: RE: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

RE: SG:AC discussions

From: john.tailby@x...
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 15:44:21 -0700
Subject: RE: SG:AC discussions

Random equipment creates problems for players.
If you buy a suppoort weapon detachment and it can either be AT
missiles, machine guns or motars you either need all 3 different types
of units for each detachment which player will find expensive OR you
have models that are so generic that they are unrecognisable as anything
specific so players use the same models.

Imagine if you rolled for a tank platoon and you had to cover options
from
2 T 80
3 T 72
4 T 64
5 T 34/85

Suddenly peoples model cost would just of out of control. Either then
you would need to make it a "if you have the models option" in which
case people would just have the moels they wanted and the random element
would go away..

I can see random elements for motivation and training working because
those don't impact model costs.

 On 25/09/2014 6:54 PM, Roger
 Bell_West wrote:
 >> Yes, in principle
 I agree; the problem is coming up with one that is
 >> simple and quick without allowing too
 much mini-maxing.....
 >> Whatever we
 do, SOMEONE will instantly over-analyze it and then
 >> gleefully inform the entire internet
 that it is "broken", thus

 proving how much smarter they are than the people who put a
 lot of
 >> effort into designing
 it....  ;-)
 > While it may smack a bit
 of the GW approach, I think that having

 standard organisations can go a long way to covering up the
 cracks in
 > a point system. If your NAC
 Marine company is a standard roster plus a
 > bit of optional support, you won't get
 the problem of someone taking
 > lots of a
 single unit type (which is very often where a point
 system
 > breaks down).
 >
 > Roger

 One of the things that was
 odd and very fun, usually, abut first edition
 40K was that the army lists were semi random.
 You paid points for the
 type of squad and
 then rolled up any special gear/weapons. It meant that
 your heavy support squad might have 4 heavy
 bolters (machine guns) and
 no rocket
 launches or your sargent paid points for grenades and
 usually
 got HE, might get krak (AT) or even
 occassionally the uber powerful/fun
 vortex
 grenade.

 So my suggestion
 would be fixed organisation at platoon level for a
 company based game (with points) then
 randomised special/support
 equipment that
 are paid for then rolled up.

 Ok so now I am up for 4 cents.

 Tony Wilkinson.

Prev: RE: SG:AC discussions Next: RE: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)