Prev: Squadron Question Next: RE: FT: Squadron Question

Re: FT: Squadron Question

From: Robert Makowsky <rmakowsky@y...>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 04:06:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: FT: Squadron Question

There is historical precedent as well.	Early on in the Battle of the
North Atlantic there were merchant ships with single launch catapult
aircraft.

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAM_ship

Not a warship but it does show that in desperation things will be tried.

I would suggest that the catapult launch fighters would be a real
possibility especially if there was a separate recovery bay that could
recover and re-fit them.

I would add the extra fighter squadrons as cargo bay space and add about
10-15% on that for the equipment needed to move them around after
recovery to make room for the other fighters.  This capability is likely
to break the already shaky game balance that results from too many
fighters.

Interesting idea and I would encourage it, but make sure that there are
some penalties.  In a one-off battle you don't mind if you leave
fighters strung out out of fuel.  In a campaign that is more of a
problem.  In the real world of course, you strand them once and forever
more they will launch and remain in close escort to the carrier with
"navigation problems".

For actual numbers I would go with 60-70% the cost of a full figher bay
for each additional section (6).  (Sidebar squadron to me is a
collection of sections and not just 6 fighters).  Most of the room is
going to be the ships themselves but you are going to need additional
tugs, cradles, trailers etc to move them around.  Also would go with
additional personnel on board the carrier to do the
moving/refitting/reinstalling.

Reinstalling the fighters on the launchers can only be done outside of
combat.  Takes a couple of exterior tugs and some actual time to get
them re-set.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head,

Bob Makowsky